Friday, August 28, 2015

Your response

“It is well, it is well” said the Shunamite woman 2 Kings 4:8-37. How could she have said “It is well” when it wasn’t?!? Her only son had just died in her arms, yet she spoke not a word about it. “It is well, it is well” were the only words she said as she ran to the prophet Elisha.


Life is likely to throw the negatives on us. For example: - You can break up with the one your partner. You can lose the loved one. You can lose your job. Your marriage can be in shambles or what if you fail and continue to fail. Life can put you at a losing side without your choice. All this heart breaking moments can happen to anyone; to some people only once yet to others repeatedly.

When I was busy preaching last Sunday, the thieves broke inside my house and began to loot my assets. I laughed. Why did I laugh! I don’t care. Why I don’t care? I couldn’t control the situation that happened to me at that time. Yes I lost my goods, so what? I have learned to never worry if I cannot change what happened.

Your response counts. The Shunamite woman, after losing her son, responded “It is well”.  Was it well? No! But she realised if I can’t change it then why worry! David did the same after he was told his son is now dead. He washed and put new clothes, ate and went to the temple. Why? He realised, if you can’t change it why fast against it! Job lost everything and responded ‘Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him…’.Job realised that he can’t just lose hope in the Lord. He couldn’t because he knew that “Christ is no security against storms, but He is perfect security in the storm”.

Your trouble has a purpose. One of the purposes is to bring you closer to God and your neighbours. It draws people together. Remember when the Tsunami hit. Neighbours who had never even talked with each other became friends. They shared food and ate together. They loaned each other tools. They helped each other cut down trees and repair their roofs. When there was no electricity for several weeks and traffic lights didn’t work, people were courteous and polite when they drove. The whole community rallied together to survive.

That is why sometimes we just have to say ‘it is well’! If you can’t change it don’t worry about it! God is in control.

 ARISE AND SHINE

No comments:

Post a Comment